Jaunpur History: Jaunpur is a city in Uttar Pradesh which is known for its mosques. Much of this recognition is owing to the situation of Jami Masjid in Jaunpur, India. Hence, due to an influx of a large number of visitors, Jaunpur Jami Masjid has become one of the major Tourist Attractions in Jaunpur.
SHAHI QILA : Situated in the heart of the city on the left bank of the Gomti, Shahi Qila was built by Freoze Shah in 1362 A.D. The inner gate of this fort is 26.5 ft. high and 16 ft. wide. The central gate is 36 ft. high. A top this there is a huge dome. At present only its eastern gate and, within, some arches etc. remain which narrate the tale of its ancient splendor. Muneer Khan had got its majestic front gate built with a view to security and it was decorated with blue and yellow stones.
ATALA MASJID: Atala Masjid or Atala Mosque is a 15th century mosque in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of the chief tourist attractions in Jaunpur. The mosque bears the evidences of the times in which it was built. The Atala Masjid is a useful specimen of mosques, not only in Uttar Pradesh but also in India.
For Detail history and Images visit
TEMPLE OF MA SHEETA CHAUKIYA DEVI: The temple of Ma Sheetla Chaukiya Devi is quite old. The worship of Shiv and Shakti has been going on since times immemorial. History states that, during the era of Hindu kings, the governance of Jaunpur was in the hands of Ahir rulers. Heerchand Yadav is considered the first Aheer ruler of Jaunpur. The descendants of this clan used to surname ‘Ahir’. These people built forts at Chandvak and Gopalpur. It is believed that the temple of Chaukiya Devi was built in the glory of their clan-deity either by the Yadavs or the Bhars- but in view of the predilections of the Bhars, it seems more logical to conclude that this temple was built by the Bhars. The Bhars were non-Aryans. The worship of Shiv and Shakti was prevalent in the non-Armyans. The Bhars held power in Jaunpur. At first, the Devi must have been installed on a praised platform or ‘chaukiya’ and probably because of this she was referred to as Chaukia Devi. Devu Sheetla is the representative blissful aspect of the Divine Mother: hence she was called Sheetla. On Mondays and Fridays, worshippers come here in quite large numbers. Huge crowds gather here during the Navratris Sheetla Chaukia
JHANJHARI MASJID: This mosque is in the Sipah locality of Jaunpur on the northern bank of the Gomti. This mosque, which also gives its name to the adjoining muhalla, was erected by Sultan Ibrahim Sharqi with the material of Vijaya Chandra’s temple of mukatghat, said to have been demolished by Sultan Firuz. This mosque is also known by the name of Chachikpur. Sultan Ibrahim built it for the convenienc…
MASJID LAL DARWAZA: This mosque has been built by V.V.Raje, wife of Sultan Mahamud Shah Sharki in 1455 A.D. at Begumganj, a mile north of the city. Its outer area is 212 x 188 sq.ft. It has three gateways and a courtyard. On two of its pillars some inscriptions in Sanskrit and Pali are there which do not shed much light except for the samvat year and the names of some kings of Kannauj.
Darbiya Mosque or Khalis Mikhlis Mosque:This mosque is known variously as the Darbiya Mosque or Khalis Mikhlis Mosque or Chahar Ungli mosque. It was built by two Chief nobles of Sultan Ibrahim Sharqi, Malik Mukhlis and Malik Khalis, in 1430 in honour of a celebrated saint, Sayyid Usman Shirazi.
Read More At:
Badi Masjid : With a height of more than 200 ft. this mosque near Purani Bazar on the Shahganj road is an important monument of the Sharki period. Its foundation has been laid at the time of Ibrahim Shah’s rule and its construction was completed in various phases. It was finished during the reign of Hussain Shah. This mosque is quite extensive, artistic and attractive and there are 27 steps to the top. Its southern gateway is 20 ft. above ground level. Its inner premises extend to 219 x 217 feet and has a gateway at each of the 4 cardinal points. The eastern gateway was destroyed by Sikander Lodhi. The outer boundary of the mosque is 320 ft. on the East-West and 307 ft. on the North-south side. The decorations, its engravings in the Egyptian style, the curves of its arches, the uniqueness of the Lotus, sunflower and rose motifs, its screens etc. are worth seeing.
SHAHI PUL: The first thing to catch your fancy in Jaunpur is the picturesque stone bridge over Gumpti river. For reasons best known to the Sharqis, they never thought of a concrete bridge but managed their affairs through a bridge of boats that was destined to vanish with their decline.
JAMA MASHID, MACCHALISHAHAR: This ancient mosque was constructed during the reign of Hussain Shah Sharki. There is a surfeit of simplicity in it. There are no arches in this mosque. Earlier there was a rock inscription here with has been destroyed now.
OTHER BUILDINGS: Besides the above mentioned monuments, there is a Munyeem Khan-built Sher-ki-masjid at Shahi Pul & Idgah on the Allahabad road; Sadar Imambara built during Muhammad Shah’s time; Jalalpur bridge; Jama Masjid at Madiyahun; Shiv Temple built by the king Sri Krishnadutta at Dharmapur; Hindi Bhavan in the city; Kali Temple in Kerakat; Shivlinga of Harshvardhan era; Gomteshwar Mahadev (Kerakat); Van Vihar; Paramhansa’s Samidhi (Village Aunka, Dhaniyamau), Gasuri Shankar temple (Sujanganj); Gurudwara (Rasmadal); Hanuman Temple (Rasmadal); Sharda Temple (Parmanatpur); Vijethua Mahavir; Kabir Math (Basetha Village, Machhalishahar); sadar imambara (Ranno) ; etc. which are of note.
GUJAR TAL: Two moles west of Kheta Sarai is the well-known Gujartal in which pisciculture is being done these days. The ambience of the lake is scenic and close-to-nature. The Van Vihar situated on the T.D.College Kuddupur Road also attracts the tourists.
Museum : The Archaeological Museum in Jaunpur, India, is under strict supervision of the famous T.D. College in Uttar Pradesh.The Archaeological Museum of Jaunpur also displays a number of ancient coins which served as the medium of exchange in their respective time periods.he Archaeological Museum, Jaunpur does not charge any entry fee… Museums at jaunpur
Famous fruits and vegetables
For the first time in 1818 A.D. the Deputy Collectorateship was established and later it became a separate district. In 1820 A.D., Azamgarh district was also brought under Jaunpur but some part of Azamgar in 1822 and the whole of Azamgarh in 1830 A.D. was separated from Jaunpur.